Hey, guys! I’m going to share with you a cake recipe for something really delicious! It’s dedicated to those with a sweet tooth. This cake is something wonderful and you’ll be making it again and again. It looks so beautiful and is so delicious! It is a special journey to a beautiful rose garden, and it’s easy and quick to make and healthy too!
The first time I tried this cake, I ordered it from a café in Bandra, Mumbai. It was delicious, and it smelled so delicately of roses and almonds. The juicy sponge covered with crunchy pistachios filled our hearts with happiness. After this delightful experience, I was very keen to get the right recipe. I found the original recipe of this cake by Yasmin Khan, an English/Pakistani/Iranian cookbook author.
I am always looking to ‘’healthify’’ food without losing the taste because my husband is a strict taste judge, so I created my own version of the recipe and my family were smitten. This cake attains a balance between fluffiness, moistness and flavour, and it is wonderfully fragrant. When I tasted the cake made with my new recipe with a cup of tea, it was a luxurious experience. All those beautiful ingredients – almond flour and pulp, rose water, cardamom, citrus, pistachio… ohhh! Can you smell it already?
A few tips for getting the right balance
- Don’t overdo the rose water. Less is better. Too much, and it will taste like a perfume.
- Mix the butter, sugar, eggs and oil for at least 3-4 minutes until they are fluffy.
- My oven is pretty basic and the gas comes from bottom, so I always bake on the highest shelf as things can burn on the bottom. So, you should watch your cake. It took just 20 minutes for my cake to be ready, but you may find it takes as long as 30 minutes.
- When you assemble the cake, let it cool down before you spoon icing around it, because otherwise the sponge will absorb the icing. Remember, the icing should be thick.
How to make
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Prepare a cake form. Apply butter inside the dish and set aside.
- Beat the butter, oil and 3/4 cup of sugar in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. Then beat in the eggs 1 at a time until incorporated. Add the cardamom, along with the flour, almond flour, almond pulp, lemon zest, lemon juice, rose water, rose essence, vanilla extract, baking powder and salt until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until cake is lightly brown on top. A toothpick or fork inserted into the centre should come out clean. Let your cake cool before applying the glaze.
- To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar, rose water, lemon juice and almond milk.
- Spoon the icing over the cake and garnish with the rose petals and pistachios.
And if you liked this article, sign up for a Nmag.in lifestyle newsletter. A handpicked selection of lifestyle articles delivered to your inbox.